Saturday 12 April 2008

Can I see some ID please?

Ok, so I have this issue that keeps bugging me now and again, more so out here in Singa-land. See, I'm in my mid-twenties, having turned 18 a little after the y2k season. But people keep thinking I'm around 20 years old, and, while that would've been great if I had been a girl, I'm not sure that's such a great compliment for a guy. Is it?

See, while I was in Sri Lanka I was working for this professional services firm and I had to go brief a client on a few internal issues we suspected they were having. Ok, I admit I had unruly hair at the time, but this director I was briefing looked as interested as my grandma's interest in Incubus. Then she chucked some papers at me and said "talk to me when your manager gets here". The fucking nerve! Obviously she thought I was a kid and was not about ready to take advice from such a vicious breed.

Now, out here in Singapore on my first night out clubbing I was asked for identification by the bouncers cause apparently I didn't look 18! WTF? The only identification I had on me that had my date of birth was my Sri Lankan ID so I had to pull that out and show the "1984" bit (as everything is in Sinhala) to convince em i'm not as young as they think. Thanks, but not thanks.



It's become so bad that it's become a bit of an inside joke amongst my friends here, and whenever I meet someone new my friends ask that person "so how old do you think Confab is?"


The answers have ranged from 17 all through 23, but never friggin 24!

So tell me ...

...do I not look 24 to you?

13 musings:

Jack Point said...

Its the hair that does it, you don't look 24 but hey, make the best use of that, you can target a much younger set of girls - thus an increased portfolio to choose from.

Scrumps said...

Lol at JP! Take it as a compliment :) I reckon yuo do look about early 20's.

But you have to remember, that usually when asked "How old do you think I am/that person looks?", the asnswer given usually is at least 2-3 years younger than what the person actually thinks probably in an effort not to offend anyone! :)

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

They didn't get it Confab!. On a sidenote I went to see KT last night here in London. Great, but I wasn't so keen on the more folky stuff.

Happy New Year

Darwin said...

I've seen pics of you, so I'm sorry to say that you don't look 24. Perhaps in 10 years time you might see that as a compliment!

Meanwhile, the bloke whose photo you've posted is hawt!

Anonymous said...

My friends say I should act my age
What’s my age again?
What’s my age again?

PS - So when are you going to post ur actual pic?

Confab said...

Thanks for your comments guys. However, I was just pulling ur legs with the pic. That's James Blake! You guys really should brush up on your tennis trivia! After all, he's in the top 10 of the world at the moment.

RD - I loved her folky stuff. But i think i'm getting into that sorta stuff alot right now. Some of it seems very slow and dragging, but i was completely blown away:)

Darwin - now how come u've seen pics of me damnit!? it's time u came out of the closet with a pic of ur self!

Chaarmax - do u really need to know what i look like?:P

Anonymous said...

Well atleast I know that you look nothing like Blake..

and as for Darwin... she's being peeving all over our pics on FB.. he he..

Anonymous said...

*choke* hehe not even the hair a teeny bit similar

Anonymous said...

u wish u looked like that:P

Jane Doe said...

I'm about to turn 21 but my floor mates and friends are all 18 or 19. They treat me like I'm 12 and we're actually betting on what the reactions might be the very first time I try to buy booze. I personally think it's a compliment but then again, everyone who knows me knows that I'm as far away from twenty one as one can be and I also have no problem with looking younger than my age :)

Jane Doe said...

p.s. - I actually think I do know how you look because I met you... It was several years ago so I doubt I'd recognize you now... and no, you won't remember who I am :)

Confab said...

but where'd i meet u?
if u remember meeting me, i'm sure i do too!

Jane Doe said...

hmmm... It was back in the day when I was a new Interactor :)(N you were among the many people that I came across randomly) But I honestly don't know if you're who I think you are because I just connected dots and faces and names...