Thursday 23 August 2007

5 of them and I

Music to me is like (if you'd permit the expression) cocks to prostitutes; more the merrier. What floats my boat also changes on a day to day basis much like a new monk having second thoughts. So I don't know what RD was thinking when he tagged me to choose 5 albums i'd have on a desert island. 16 albums made my initial short list. Here they are in alphabetical order:

  • Counting Crows - August and Everything After
  • Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience
  • Damien Rice - O
  • Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy Up the Girl (the pirated one with 'Name' as a Bonus Track - only available in Sri Lanka - woo hoo!)
  • Incubus - Make Your Self
  • Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams
  • Lifehouse - No Name Face
  • Live - Awake: The Best of Live
  • Matchbox 20 - Yourself or Someone Like You
  • Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York
  • Oasis - What's the story (Morning Glory)
  • Paolo Nutini - These Streets
  • Pearl Jam - Ten
  • Snow Patrol - Eyes Open
  • The Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse
  • Timbaland - Shock Value

I'm really struggling to narrow it down, but for the sake of fair play I will. But I will qualify my selection as something I did under duress. So considering the fact that i'll be stuck on a desert island, on my own, with just the albums, i'm going to have to choose them ones that are gonna keep me sane, although by the time i'm miraculously, and theatrically, rescued, i'll be sick of em. Here goes :

Gin Blossoms : New Miserable Experience - It's a Sri Lankan thing. Apart from the US, i'm almost sure the only other country The Gin Blossoms are so popular is in our very own. Some of their best music is on this album, ie. Hey Jealousy, Until I Fall Away, Allison Road and Found Out About You. This album can uplift my mood within seconds. There's this great energy about it and it's contagious. This'll already be in the discman when I wake up on a strange island.

Incubus : Make Your Self - This will be pounding in my ears when i'm building my tree hut, Robinson Crusoe Style. I often find my self analysing every groove, every off beat and every riff on this album. It's a musical masterpiece, at least in my opinion. It'll be like having a stock of ice cold Red Bull on the island. The smash hits Drive, Stellar, Pardon Me and The Warmth are all in here. Ever wondered where the catchy opening riff to TNL's Spinning Unrest was from? You guessed it.

Goo Goo Dolls - (Pirated) Dizzy Up the Girl - Ok, I'm sorry it's pirated and all, but Name is one of my fav tracks and it just adds a completely different twist to an already great album. Includes classics such as Iris, Broadway, Black Balloon and Slide. How can I say no to that? This is definitely coming with me.

Lifehouse - No Name Face - I fell in love with this album the first time I heard it. It's got such character to it and I find my moods changing along with each different song on it. I love every second of it From the infectious anthem Hanging By a Moment, to the mellow ballad Everything. This'll make me sad all alone on the island but it'll probably also give me hope. Tag, your in.

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York - The sheer musical brilliance of the band finds me packing it away in my 5 CD carrier on my one way trip to the lonely island (although Pearl Jam gave it a tough fight for the last spot in my luggage). Nirvana has never been more convincing, more approachable, more real, or more sober. This session is undoubtedly legendary for the stark contrast it portrays of the band that changed the face of alternative music. Get in there.

All packed and ready to go! Well...not really... Why can't I take 16 albums?

8 musings:

Anonymous said...

You're so right about the Gin Blossoms...even over here they were like a one album hit...I absolutely love those four tunes though from my young days listening to YesFM and another station I can't quite remember...

Funny the Incubus album (drive is my favourite), Dizzy up the Girl (love acoustic #3) and No Name No Face (breathing is my favourite) are some of my favourites though, albeit it my favourites from the late nineties, early '00's period...before I discovered house music!

You my friend have good taste:) (especially since you have Snow Patrol on there!)

Anonymous said...

noo!! how did august not make the cut?? have you heard their across the wire double cd? i love the unplugged one, the version of angels on that is brilliant.

Confab said...

Probably TNL N, coz I don't think the others ever played Gin Blossoms. Yeah your right, my musical taste is generally centred around that period, but its starting to be more open minded though. although not open minded enough to stomach house...yet.
Thanks for the compliment:)

DDM, august and everything after is a great album. Actually you're right. How did it not make the cut?

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

Confab - The reason you can't take 16 albums is because of space. If you do, then you'll have to leave several pairs of pants at home, or perhaps a guitar. Then you'd be sorry.

Anonymous said...

matchbox twentyyyyyy!!! weeeee :D

pissu perera said...

tnl lite plays the gin blossoms..

Anonymous said...

Dude
what's the song in Spinning Unrests opening riff?

Confab said...

privilege :)